The Warren County Conservation Board is seeking applications for a Conservation Technician. This position will be shared with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
Qualified applications will be accepted through Noon, Friday, June 10, 2016 and must consist of cover letter, résumé, and completed Warren County Employment Application. Submit cover letter, résumé, and application form to:
Jim Priebe, Director
Warren County Conservation Board
15565 18th AVE
Indianola, IA 50125
or submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN (Shared position with Iowa DNR)
Section 1. Conservation Technician shall be directly responsible to the Operations Coordinator, the Natural Resource Specialist, and the Iowa DNR Shooting Sports Coordinator.
Reports to: Operations Coordinator, Natural Resource Specialist, Iowa DNR Shooting Sports Coordinator
Warren County Pay Grade: 10 (approximately $34,500 plus benefits for the first year)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Supervises Others: Yes
Approved by: Conservation Board
Section 2. Duties: The principle duties of the Conservation Technician shall include the following:
The Conservation Technician provides maintenance and upkeep for all area operated and managed by the Warren County Conservation Board and Banner Shooting Range operated by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Provides mowing and snow removal operations as required
- Provides cleaning, construction, and repair of both indoor and outdoor facilities
- Must have a valid Iowa’s driver’s license and pass a background check
- Supervises the work of seasonal employees engaged in various operations and maintenance tasks
- Provides input on the implementation and maintenance of program to enhance existing, or develop new recreation, shooting sports or related natural resource programs
- Maintains all equipment and vehicles assigned to Warren County Conservation and the Banner Shooting Range
- All other duties as assigned by Natural Resource Specialist, Operations Coordinator, Director, Board or Shooting Sports Coordinator.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Graduation from a four-year college with major course work relevant to conservation or graduation from a two-year college with major course work relevant to conservation and two years of experience in a related field.
- Knowledgeable of all safety procedures necessary using machinery, equipment and tools
- Ability to interact with, and react to park users, customers at the shooting range and other citizens in a positive manner
- Knowledge of shooting range operations and scheduling
- Ability to set schedules and direct the activities of subordinate employees
- Knowledgeable of current park practices and management
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
- Ability to manage stress
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and/or stand for long periods of time. Must have the ability to lift, pull, push, and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment has periods where the noise level will require hearing protection, such as the use of power tools and working the active shooting line at the range. There are periods when exposure to the outside elements will be necessary to accomplish the needs of the department.